This is a recipe from my husband Tanner’s Aunt Judy. She is the best fresh ingredient cook around.
- 1 large pomegranate
- 3/4 C of chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 C or less of finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 of a jalapeno*, very finely minced (de-seeded and all white tissue removed)
- Here’s the trick to getting the seeds from the pomegranate: Cut off the ends of the fruit but try not to cut into the seeds. Score the ends with an X then lightly draw a cut down the sides following the X. Now, get yourself a nice large bowl that you fill with water and dunk your hands and fruit into the bowl. Keep the pomegranate UNDER the water or else you will spray red juice all over your kitchen. Gently pop open the fruit and begin to take away the white membrane and gently pop the seeds out. Seeds will go to bottom and membranes float. Do not use any seeds that do not have their brilliant red color. Remove all the inedible debris, drain the water off. Gently check over your remaining fruit for any remaining attached debris.
- Combine fruit, onion, cilantro and jalapeño.
- Mix well and refrigerate for at least an hour.