The orange zest and juice in this recipe brightens the dish and elevates the ordinary black bean to new heights. Serve this with cooked brown rice or quinoa and a salad.
1 large yellow onion, diced small
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground
2 chiles in adobo sauce, minced, or 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
Zest and juice of 2 oranges
Two 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed, about 4 cups
Sea salt to taste
18 corn tortillas
1 batch Spiked Sour Cream (recipe follows)
1 jar salsa
1. Sauté the onions in a saucepan over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep them from sticking. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the cumin, chiles in adobo sauce, orange zest and juice, and black beans.
2. Season with salt and puree the mixture in a food processor until smooth but still a little chunky.
3. Place the tortillas, a few at a time, in a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Heat until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Wrap in foil and repeat with the remaining tortillas.
4. Spread 3 tablespoons of the black bean mixture over half of each tortilla, then roll up tortilla and set it aside. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, then place all of the taquitos into a large non-stick skillet and heat over medium-low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Serve with the Spiked Sour Cream (recipe follows) and salsa.
Spiked Sour Cream
Makes 1 1/2 cups
1 package extra firm silken tofu
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon chile powder
Pinch cayenne pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth and creamy. Chill until ready to serve.